Shopping consciously is something that is incredibly important to us, not only as a brand but also as individuals.
Even if you buy just one person a gift this year that is sustainability made, has a positive environmental impact, and well-being for others in mind, you are making a positive impact. Small changes matter! There is a shift happening in our world and as a collective species, humans are becoming more aware of their impact, and that is incredible!
We've rounded up some brands and organizations we think are rad and also really hitting the nail on the head for being eco-friendly and conscious companies from the inside-out.
1. Indosole is creating big waves by taking old and used tires and creating killer shoes and sandals. Their latest collection incorporates all the essential elements that they aim to protect. Providing Soles with Soul!
2. Teysha shares a similar vision to Ethnotek. They work with artisans in Guatemala that are creating beautiful textiles and applying them to their boots. Another cool thing: you can design your own!
3. Brush with Bamboo is a great little company who makes eco-friendly toothbrushes from bamboo! It's the best way to transition into a plastic-free lifestyle :)
4. Base Project is another wonderful company partnering with artisans beginning in Namibia and spreading across the globe, by employing them to create bracelets made out of the discarded plastic pipe.
5. Bureo is fighting pollution and waste by using fishing nets pulled from the ocean to make skateboards and sunglasses! We had a great time pairing up with them in our Kickstarter campaign!
6. Ten Tree is doing amazing things with their business model by planting ten trees for every product sold. How amazing is that?!
7. Simply Straws is a glass straw company that provides a sustainable alternative to plastic in addition to donating a percentage of their profits to different organizations depending on which color straw you buy.
8. Coala Tree helps limit their impact on the environment by using alternative and sustainable fibers in their clothing and gear and also actively donates a portion of their profits to different organizations.
9. Yellow Leaf Hammocks has created a business relationship with artisans around the world to weave their hammocks. Purchases of each product help to continue creating the demand for the art of weaving!
10. Krochet Kids is doing their part to fight poverty in countries by employing artisans to weave their beautiful products. The best part is seeing their signature on the tags of every product they make!
11. Sunski is a killer combination of adventure, style, and social responsibility. Launched on Kickstarter in 2012, the company makes high-quality shades, perfect for any outdoor adventure. Each pair is polarized and comes with a durable travel box! Since launching, the company has become a member of 1% for the planet. Giving back + awesome style and design…what more can you ask for!?
12. MATTER beautifully combines traditional heritage prints into modern styles and designs. They aim to cultivate designer-artisan collaborations, inspire customers to value origins and processes, to spearhead change within the industry and provide sustainability for rural textile communities.
13. Tribe Alive is a worldwide artistic collaboration that partners with female artisans in Guatemala, Haiti, India, Honduras, and Forth Worth Texas, providing employment for the impoverished woman at fair-trade wages. Doing it all with beautiful style!
14. Urban Native Era is a collective youth reclaiming traditional knowledge and identity of the 7th generation Native American while redefining what it means to be indigenous and free. They were inspired by a movement on December 10th, 2012 called Idle No More which uses social media and the internet to connect indigenous people around the world. Now that's an impressive way to keep culture alive!
15. Last on our list is actually an incredibly useful tool! The Conscious Collective Co. is dedicated to educating the public on ways to become a more conscious consumer. They've done all the hard work and curated a shopping platform that brings conscious companies to light- all in one convenient place!
1. 5 Gyres is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that empowers action against the global health crisis of plastic pollution through science, art, education, and adventure.
2. 1% for the Planet builds, supports and activates an alliance of businesses financially committed to creating a healthy planet. By doing this, it also helps you discover which brands are giving back to the planet.
3. Plastic Pollution Coalition is a growing global alliance of organizations, businesses, and thought leaders working toward a world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impact on humans, animals, and the environment.
4. POW - Protect Our Winters is a passionate crew of diehards, professional athletes and industry brands mobilizing the outdoor sports community to lead the charge towards positive climate action. Specifically with regards to the impact on winter sports.
Have fun checking out these brands and organizations, and make sure to leave a comment with your own favorite conscious brands so we can learn more about them!